Thursday 24 March 2011

Basic Colouring & Shading in Photoshop

Colouring and shading is something that can prove quite tricky for people just starting out. But there are many different ways and techniques to digital colouring that can be learned. Anime/Manga are styles of drawn art traditionally associated with asian culture. In Japan and China, Anime is immensely popular and can be seen everywhere. Manga is what anime is called when it is seen in paper/poster form. You'd think from looking at an anime cartoon that it would be an easy task to sketch it, well it's not. There are many elements surrounding anime and manga that need to be accounted for. The eyes are probably the most important thing to get right. I felt that manga was a good place to start on, for a colouring-in experiment, as the drawing would not take as long to finish as a detailed, realistic sketch. I took a picture of my face in webcam and proceeded to manga-fy myself. I then scanned in the drawing into Photoshop and coloured the various 'segments' that made the picture. I added shading and lighting as well. Manga never uses more then a few shades of colour in any part so I kept in the same style with my adaptation. I'm pretty happy with the result!




No comments:

Post a Comment